The Huli Shan Fortress (Húlǐ Shān Pàotái, 胡里山炮台) is a concrete defensive outpost on the south side of Xiamen, just across the water from the historically contentious Jinmen Islands.
Xiamen was one of the treaty ports established by the Treaty of Nanking that ended the First Opium War in 1842. Though the British troops that shelled and captured the city in 1841 left the city proper and set up diplomatic shop on the small island of Gulangyu?an early foreign concession that today is a quaint pedestrian-only tourist attraction?the city was understandably eager to establish more defensive capabilities. By the dawn of the 20th century, the Huli Shan Fortress had been completed. The castle compound is massive, with secret tunnels, barracks for soldiers, offices, fortifications for repelling attacks, towering walls and watch towers. The highlight for visitors of today is the remaining enormous cannon (there were originally two; one for east and west defense). Built by a German munitions company, the two 14 m (46 ft) cannons, when viewed in tandem with the dozens of other, smaller artillery, must have been an intimidating sight.
Transport and arrival
The Huli Shan Fortress is located on the southern coast of Xiamen, just south of Xiamen University (Xiàmén Dàxué, 厦门大学); walk south on Daxue Lu (Dàxué Lù, 大学路) and look for the enormous fortress with the huge cannon.