Labor and Social Security
- Xiamen not only has a competent labor force but also is highly competitive in terms of labor cost. Surveys show that annual per capita salary in Xiamen is US$2,153 and for administrative staff it's US$3,433.
- Foreign-funded enterprises may determine their own organizational structure and staffing, independently decide the way for wage distribution and should inform the local labor administrative department of the recruitment of staff and workers within 30 days after recruitment.
- The enterprises shall sign a labor contract with the employee when the employment relation is established (The probation period shall not exceed 6 months). The notice to terminate the contract shall be given to the other party of the contract 3 days in advance when on probation and one month in advance after probation (except for the conditions stipulated by law to terminate the contract at any time) and relevant procedures must be observed.
- Employees shall enjoy paid holidays according to the State regulations such as annual leave, home leave, marriage leave, funeral leave and maternity leaveEnterprises employing foreigners shall apply for work permits to Xiamen Labor Bureau (with a fee of RMB Yuan150/person/year for compatriots of Hong Kong, Macao or Taiwan and RMB Yuan300/person/year for foreigners) and residence permits to Xiamen Public Security Bureau.
- The regular working time shall not exceed 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week. Workers should have at least a day off every week. Generally, the overtime work shall be 1 hour, the maximum not exceeding 3 hours a day or 36 hours a month. The minimum overtime pay for overtime work at weekdays, weekends and public holidays shall be 150%, 200% and 300% of that for normal work respectively.
- The monthly wage should not be lower than the minimum monthly wage level of the year announced by Xiamen Municipality (The city's minimum monthly wage during the period from1 July, 2003 to 30 June, 2004 is RMB Yuan 480 in Siming and Huli districts, RMB Yuan 430 in Jimei and Haicang districts and RMB Yuan 360 in Tong'an and Xiang'an districts respectively.