Xiamen's GDP in 2009 was RMB 1623.21 billion, reflecting an increase of 8 % year by year. Of the total, the added value of the primary industry was RMB 21.03 billion, an increase of 18%; the added value of the secondary industry was RMB 785.95 billion, increasing 3.5%; and the added value of the tertiary industry was RMB 816.23 billion, increasing 6.8%. The ratio of the primary industry to secondary industry to tertiary industry is 1.3 %: 48.4%: 50.3%.
• The major industries of Xiamen include: electronics, machinery and chemicals (manufacturing industry); commerce, finance, tourism and real estate development (tertiary industry). Commerce has a prominent position in Xiamen's economy.
• In 2009, the gross industrial output value of Xiamen was RMB785.95 billion, witnessing an increase of 3.5% over the last year.
• Some famous-brand and premium quality industrial products witnessed a boom in both production and sales. The output volume of ships, automobiles, shovel loaders, electric lightings (electric bulb), micro computers, synthetic fiber, edible vegetable oil, and canned food has grew by great margin over last year.
• Hi & New Tech industrial enterprises grow well, with 101 key enterprises accomplishing an output value of RMB 141.94 billion, representing an increase of 7.9% and accounting for 50% of the total industrial output value of Xiamen.
• Xiamen is the world's largest exporter and producer of tungsten products; major computer exporter of China; major aircraft maintenance center in China; and the largest producer of hearing aids, audio equipment, color films and film paper in the Asia-Pacific region.
• Xiamen ranks among the top ones in China in terms of the production and sales of digital audio-video equipment, capacitors, IC fix frames, relays and photo-electric equipments.
• By the end of 2009, 48 of the Fortune 500 companies have invested in 86 projects in Xiamen, with a total investment of USD 18.7 billion.
• Xiamen is home to many famous national and international brand names such as Xoceco (Prima), Amoi, Xiagong, King Long, Topstar, Cheng Shin, Yinlu, Huierkang, Gulong, Wish and New Wish. It has been superiorly established its leading position in the country in various sectors including engineering machinery, power distribution equipment, large and medium-sized buses, tungsten products and aircraft maintenance.